R. T. Van Horn & Co., Publishers.*

October 27, 1870.

     The wind was on high yesterday, and like a deceitful man, was throwing dust in people's eyes.

     The public square is much improved in appearance since the disappearance of the apple stands.

     A trio who proposed to shoot, cut, and generally maltreat each other Tuesday night, were hobnobbing together yesterday the best of friends.

     We hear that Mr. Frank has sold his interest (being two-thirds) in the block on the corner of Fifth and Main streets, Franks Hall being a part of the transfer.  Thatcher & Case are said to have paid $45,000 for the property.

     Among the deer belonging to Col. McGee, and that have the liberty of the lawn in front of his residence, is a big buck that of late has shown a disposition to attack any person coming near it.  Yesterday it came near killing a woman and her little boy.  Mrs. Campbell, a poor woman living on the Levee, came to Mayor McGee's office yesterday to apply for some relief in her destitution.  He was not in his office down town, and she proceeded to his house.  Entering the front gate with her two children, a little boy and girl, she was proceeding along the walk to the house, when the buck saw her and made a savage attack upon her.  The woman was thrown to the ground, the enraged animal standing over her, and about to assault her with its sharp antlers, when the little boy pluckily came to the rescue, and tried to drive the buck away.  The animal, however, made a sudden lunge and brought the boy to the ground, so near his mother that it held guard over both. The screams of the poor woman attracted the attention of Captain Ferree, living near.  He courageously "went for" the buck, and there was a furious struggle, but Dr. Jones came to the relief of his neighbor, and the two succeeded in getting a rope around the enraged animal's neck and securing it.   The woman was severely bruised, and the boy hurt in several places.  We advise people to keep away from Colonel McGee's grounds until he chooses to take proper measures to prevent similar attacks on callers from that vicious pet of his.

     Policeman Halpin had a number of prisoners under his charge breaking rock yesterday.  To encourage their flagging efforts he took a hammer frequently, and showed them how the trick was done.

     In yesterday's paper we published the fact that a man had been killed by the cars near the Sherman House on the levee.  A coroner's inquest has been held and the following further facts were elicited.  The man's name was Robert A. Emenert but was better known by the soubriquet, Salty Bill.  He came from New Orleans but his parents reside in Canada, and he has been working for some time in the employ of Mr. Sweet, the sand boatman.  Though thought to be an accident, some are inclined to the belief that he had been foully dealt with and placed on the track in order to hide a murder.  Following the inquest the body was buried by the railroad company.  The coroner's jury have reserved their verdict until to-day, at 2 o'clock p. m.

     Yesterday morning a man was trying vigorously to put aboard the express car of the train bound for St. Louis, a black and a red pig -- the last quite a curiosity.  He made more fuss over "them pigs" than was at all necessary, greatly to the irritation of the express men, and the amusement of bystanders.