R. T. Van Horn & Co., Publishers.*

October 30, 1870.

     Rain, rain, rain!  Mud, mud, mud!  How long is this ere sort o' thing to last?  It's getting rather "teejus."  It's rather "too much of a good thing."

     The land-slide on Delaware street has been removed.

     More of the Bluff street sidewalk has tumbled in, and if the rains continue a while longer, doubtless the whole arrangement will crawl down the bank.  The superstructure is a beautiful monument to the departed glory of our city fathers, and as lasting as they deserve.  Pity they are not buried at the base.

     "Cheek," the notorious little "cheek," whose latest exploit here was that of burgling an apple stand on Main street, near Eighth, has left the city, after promising Marshal Speers never to return.  May he keep that promise good.

     Before the Recorder, yesterday, three culprits were tried for fighting, two for drunkenness, one for disturbing the peace and one for using offensive language.  The total amount of fines and costs footed up the respectable sum of $44.20.

     Yesterday a man was "chiseled" out of $70 by the three card monte swindle.  The game was played on the railroad train coming from Ft. Scott.  Deputy Marshal Malloy went around, last night, with the victim, to the different hotels to see if the two thieves who perpetrated the theft were around.  But they kept shady.

     The river is rising slowly.  The Mary McDonald is due to-day, and will doubtless return to St. Louis to-night.  The United States snag boat S. Thayer, which has been up in the mountains at work all summer, passed down yesterday.

     Last night, during the drenching rain, Officer Gillooly discovered a drunken man lying in a gutter on Third street, near Grand avenue.  The fellow was plastered from head to heel with the mud in which he had been wallowing.  We were shown into the cell in which he had been placed.  His hair was full of mud, his face was thickly covered with it, his clothes were saturated with it, and, in short, he was the most wretched looking object.  He will feel proud of himself when he wakes up to-day from his drunken stupor and sees himself as others see him.

     A dog fight yesterday afternoon, on the corner of Fourth and Walnut, attracted, for the space of ten minutes, the absorbed attention of about a hundred loafers.

     We mentioned yesterday the fact of the loss of $200 in bills and $400 in drafts, by a passenger on the Missouri Pacific railroad, who had stowed the treasure in his boot and then lost it in the car when he took his boot off to ease his feet.  By mere accident, he has recovered nearly the entire amount lost.  John Emrise, a young boot black of this place, who is better known as "Limpy," found the money and drafts and put off for Paola.  "Cheek" was on the same car and told Mr. Fred Mitchell, the well known lawyer of this city, that "Limpy" had the money.  Of course it took but a short time to induce "Limpy" to give up the money, and as he chose to return here yesterday, he was promptly put in the calaboose.  He had spent some of the funds -- the balance was returned to the owner.