R. T. Van Horn & Co., Publishers.*

December 23, 1870.

     More snow.  Money scares.  Fresh-- the wind.  The Kaw is frozen over.

     Gas very flickering o'nights.

     Egg-nog has a downward tendency.

     Stores crowded with parents buying presents.

     The "Big Muddy" is nearly ice-locked.

     Has it been noticed that the weather is cold?  Thermometer yesterday stood at 6 degrees above zero; not quite as low as the St. Louis ones telegraphed.

     An unknown son of the Emerald Isle, well filled with whiskey, was bucked off the track by the engine of the Fort Scott train yesterday morning, and escaped unhurt.

     We are glad to note the fact that our young friend, Ira. B. Sherry, who used to conduct a grocery store on Fourth street, has gone into business again, this time as book-keeper for a wholesale house on Delaware street, and we expect that he will eventually turn out to be one of our leading merchants.  He has many warm friends, who wish him success and prosperity, more so because he has been unfortunate of late.

     The regular semi-monthly sociable and dance of the Spiritualists and Friends of Progress comes off this Friday evening, at Good Templars' Hall, corner of Main and Eighth streets.  These dances are extremely sociable, and should be kept up through the winter months.

     John Duffy was flourishing a navy revolver on the levee last night, while drunk, and drew it on one man, who seized it and dealt Duffy a stunning blow over the eye with it.  He was arrested for carrying concealed weapons.

     For sale at the English Kitchen, the most delicious mince meat, put up with great care, especially for family use.  No. 210 Main street, Kansas City.

     About ten o'clock last nig ht, we came across a man on Fifth and Delaware streets, whose lamentations over his day's folly were loud and long.  He had come to town from somewhere in Clay county, amply provided with funds to by Xmas gifts for his family.  Meeting some of his city acquaintances, and the day being chilly, they imbibed.  After a little while, they went into a saloon and took a drink.  Hot drinks followed in rapid succession, until about dusk, when the acquaintances left him and he made preparations to go home.  Staggering out of the saloon he bethought him of the presents for his children, and immediately proceeded to purchase them, but he discovered he had spent nearly all his money.  The fact was so overpowering that he was stunned.  When we saw him he was still under the influence of liquor standing in the middle of the street berating himself in no measured terms for his excessive asinine peculiarities.  Upon questioning him as to his name and so forth, he would give no satisfaction, and we left him alone with his sorrow, with a fierce wind blowing all around him.  One can easily picture the disappointment of the little darlings at home, whose anxious, hopeful faces are pressed against the cold window pane, watching for father to co me home, when Christmas morning dawns upon them eager for the sight of Santa Claus to find that the jolly old fellow has left them nothing.

     The festival at Frank's Hall last night was generously patronized by the friends of charitable purposes, and the arrangements were so perfect that a more enjoyable time has hardly ever been had in all of Kansas City's experience in festivals.  Added to the attraction was a dance in which young  engaged, and were festive all.