R. T. Van Horn & Co., Publishers.*

January 5, 1870.

     The pleasant weather of yesterday, crowded our streets with promenaders and buyers.

     Yesterday about noon the neighborhood of Sixth street between Delaware and Wyandotte was occasioned considerable excitement by an alarm of fire.  It was discovered that the frame dwelling off Robert Itkis Esq. was in flames.  The hose reel and steam fire engine were quickly on the spot, but all efforts to save the burning building proved fruitless.  Special efforts were then made to save the dwelling of Mr. Newman adjoining, which fortunately resulted in more success.

     DIED -- Very suddenly of typhoid pneumonia, at the residence of his father on Catherine street, in this city, December 31, 1869, 12 o'clock a. m., George Frank, eldest son of Rev. S. D. and Judena Bowker, aged 10 years, two months and fourteen days.  "I'll meet you at the gate, father!"  It is worthy of notice that this is the first death in a family of twelve.  The couplet "There is no flock, howe'er so well attended, but one dead lamb be there," expresses an almost universal truth.  Bro. Bowker's family, however, has remained an exception till lately; but now, --"One dead lamb is there."  Our readers wil join us in sentiments of condolence with Mr. Bowker's family in this sudden and severe bereavement.  George was a boy of great promise.

     At the residence of the bride's brother-in-law, John H. Ramsey, by the Rev. Mr. Roberts, Mr. Archie E. Mills married Miss Fannie Clark, all of this city.  Another of Kansas City's fairest and most accomplished daughters has united her destiny to a popular young merchant and remaining bachelors are disconsolate.  The JOURNAL wishes them the fullest measure of happiness.  The newly married couple left for Chicago last night.

     The new firm of Bennett, Gregory & Co., on Delaware street, have taken in as a partner Mr. A. M. Jones, and the firm name will now be Bennett, Gregory & Co.  For the past two years Mr. Jones has been with the house of Leach, Nave & Co., and as a salesman is extensively and favorably known through the large extent of the country tributary to Kansas City.  He will be popular as a merchant, for he possesses those sterling qualities --industry, integrity and a desire to please-- that go to make up a successful business man.

     As the agent of the Davenport Brothers was passing down Main street yesterday, he casually remarked, as he saw two pretty young ladies passing, "I should like to see them at our entertainment," whereupon Mr. Halpin who accompanied the ladies turned about and said, "Give me two complimentary tickets and you shall."  The agent was fairly caught, and handed over the tickets with a good grace, and to-night those of our citizens who attend the mysterious performances, will doubtless have the pleasure of seeing Mr. Halpin, with Misses Slater and Ward, the ladies spoken of.

     Yesterday afternoon two young men, Wm. and James Myers, residents of Clay county and living some three miles from Harlem, came very near meeting with serious if not a fatal accident from the tricks of a wild mule whom they were trying to tame.    The brothers succeeded in securing the animal with a stout halter made of a long rope.  One of the boys wrapped one end of the rope around his wrist, the other boy secured the other end and the mule was let loose from the pen he was in.  It sprang out wildly and infuriated by the tightening cords of rope around its head, began kicking and jumping at a most terrible rate.  In a few moments afterward the mule darted forward and roan down a hill.  Strangely enough the young men had become fastened to the end of the rope and were dragged down the hill after the running animal.  The scene was not a pleasant one, either for those who witnessed it, or for the parties most deeply concerned.  The boys were cut and bruised, but neither was seriously hurt.