R. T. Van Horn & Co., Publishers.*

March 27, 1870.

     Registration is concluded.  There are 2,916 voters in the city.

     Alderman J. W. Cook declines to be a candidate for Mayor.  Sensible fellow.

     There will be services in all the churches to-day.

     Our attention was yesterday called to the very elegant ice cream saloon now being finished by Long & Hoffmeister, on Sixth street, in the second story of their new block.  It is extremely well lighted and airy, the ceiling being twenty feet in height.  The cornice is elegantly enriched with a grape vine, with fruit and leaves, and is probably the best job of the kind in the city.  This artistic work, and also the plastering, was executed by Young & Martin, who deserve great credit for their taste.

     Charles Crouse, of West Kansas City, had a large fibrous tumor removed yesterday from the right side of the superior maxillary, by Dr. Traver, dentist.  The molar teeth of the right side were all out and that space, with one-third of the palate, was occupied with a tumor the size and shape of a large butternut.  The incisions were made very deep in order to reach the base of the tumor.  The patient is now ding well and in a fair way of recovery.  This operation is known among surgeons as a very difficult one, and Dr. Traver has shown a great deal of skill in successfully performing it.

     A very melancholy and tragical affair took place in this city yesterday.  It appears that a young Englishman named Oliver has for some time past been in the employ of W. H. Morgan & Co., wholesale druggists, on Delaware street. Yesterday morning he felt unwell and thinking, perhaps, that a little brandy might help him, he procured a graduated glass, and taking down a bottle containing,, as he supposed, brandy -- poured out about ten tea spoonfuls, and drank it down.  He had hardly swallowed it when he discovered his awful mistake.  He had swallowed tincture of aconite -- even a few drops of which is sufficient to kill the strongest man.  He called loudly for help and the proprietors sent hastily for Drs. Morrison, Porter and Payne.  These gentlemen were speedily at hand, and did all that human skill could possibly accomplish, to save the unfortunate sufferer.  All their efforts, however, were futile -- he was beyond the reach of human skill.  He was fully sensible of his condition, and although he was suffering severe torture, he did not complain.  His wife, who had been summoned, stood beside him, and the sight of her agony might well appall the stoutest heart.  She will have the sympathy of the entire community in this sad and sudden bereavement.  Captain Adams, the Coroner, empanelled a jury, who, after hearing all the evidence, returned a verdict of "Death from accidental poisoning..  The deceased was about thirty years of age, and leaves a wife and one child.